Do you have land in C or D condition? FBA can help…

What are Reef Protection Regulations?

As of 1 December, 2019, agriculture and industry (including mining) are both classed as an Environmentally Relevant Activity (ERA), regulated to maintain the quality of water and minimize impacts upon the Great Barrier Reef.

What changes for me?

Properties with land condition in C and D condition (accounting for drought) must begin implementing actions to improve land condition. Primary producers in all Reef catchments must begin keeping records of any action or measure taken on commercial properties to improve land condition.
Minimum standards apply to grazing in the Fitzroy from 1 December 2021.
Reef protection regulations do not apply to non-commercial properties.

What are the minimum standards for grazing?

Under the Reef protection regulations, there are four standard conditions for graziers:

Standard condition 1
For land in good or fair condition, continue using measures to maintain the land in good or fair condition.

Standard condition 2
For land in poor condition, measures must be implemented to improve land condition towards achieving good or fair condition.

Standard condition 3
For land in degraded condition, measures must be implemented to improve land condition towards achieving good or fair condition OR prevent areas of degraded land condition from further degrading or expanding.

Standard condition 4
General and minimum standard records must be made within three business days, kept for at least six years and be made available upon request.

Records are:

– of any action/s taken by a land manager to improve land condition

The actions taken to improve land condition are determined by the land manager

The minimum standard for land managers is to take action, not demonstrating results from those actions

The minimum practice agricultural standards for graziers in the Fitzroy region will apply as of 1 December 2021.

What records must I keep from 1 December 2019?

  • name of the grazier (i.e. the person(s) carrying out the activity)
  • name of person making the record
  • company name (if applicable)
  • property address/es
  • postal address
  • farm identification number/s (if applicable)
  • a list of the lots included in all the farms within the agricultural enterprise
  • records of agricultural chemicals, fertiliser and mill mud/mill ash applied and specifically:
    • location of each application (e.g. farm number with block name or management zone)
    • date of each application
    • agricultural chemical and/or fertiliser product (including mill mud/mill ash) applied to each location with product name, application rate (kg/ha, L/ha or tonnes/ha for mill mud/mill ash) and for fertiliser product percentage of nitrogen and phosphorus.

One record of measures can be kept for several properties operated by one land manager.

What if I am involved in an approved grazing practice change project?

Participation in grazing practice change projects (including GRASS), means you will considered a low priority property for compliance checks for the duration of your involvement in the project.

I need help to comply with the minimum standards:

Assistance is offered in three ways:

  • Involvement in the GRASS program
  • Tailored advice from an Accredited Agricultural Adviser (AAA)
  • Land management advice from FBA

GRASS (Grazing Resilience and Sustainable Solutions)

What is GRASS?

  • 3-year project between FBA and QLD Govt
  • Provide direct support to graziers in order to meet their obligations and improve land condition

What does GRASS involve?

  • Developing Land Management Plans
  • Receiving tailored advice
  • Undertake actions to improve land condition

What is the benefit?

  • Project recognition
  • Considered as low priority for compliance for the duration of the project

Accredited Agricultural Adviser (AAA)

Producers who receive advice from an AAA will receive tailored support to meet the minimum agricultural standards, and may have access to a $1000 rebate.

AAA’s are required to keep records (within five days) of the advice offered for six years, however specific details on land management practices will not be provided to the government.

Fitzroy Basin Association currently has five Accredited Agricultural Advisers who can assist you in meeting the minimum agricultural standards for grazing.

Contact one of the following to receive initial recommendations prior to receiving tailored advice.

Any recommendations offered prior to tailored advice is strictly confidential and for the benefit of the landholder.

FBA is a non-government organization seeking to support Fitzroy landholders.

Meghan Anderson 0448 412 610

Reece Brooks 0447 992 800

Ellie Carter 0408 574 129

Bernadette Claussen 0408 158 232

Katie Crozier 0408 874 042

For more information on

Reef Protection Regulations, head to:

Grazing standards:

Accredited Agricultural Advisers:

Rebate Scheme:

The GRASS program is funded by the Queensland Government’s Reef Water Quality Program and is delivered by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Burnett Mary Regional Group, Fitzroy Basin Association and NQ Dry Tropics.