FBA moved into offices in the historic old post office building in Rockhampton in 2011, becoming its first occupants since it was vacated by Australia Post in 1997. This grand two-storey brick post office with sandstone facing was erected in 1892 for the Queensland Post and Telegraph Department.
It was designed in the office of Colonial Architect George Connolly, and was built by Dennis Kellaher for £14,368. It was the sixth post office to be established in Rockhampton after a succession of temporary and superseded post offices. In 1863 the first official Postmaster was appointed and a temporary wooden post office building was constructed on the present post office site between 1863 and 1865. During this period Rockhampton’s postal services expanded greatly. In 1876, the Rockhampton Post Office had processed more than a quarter of a million ordinary letters and fifteen thousand registered letters as well as providing money order and savings bank services.
By 1886 the old post office of twenty years was too small and the Colonial Architect was requested to plan a new building. The present post office was constructed of brick with a facade of sandstone from the nearby Stanwell Quarries. The clock tower was installed in September 1894 by the Government Clockmaker. (The clock was made by Gillet and Johnston of Croydon, England, and cost £325.)
The interior of the Post Office was refurbished in 1980 with the exterior maintaining its grand colonnaded facades. The most recent refurbishment undertaken by CBD Property Trust has reinvigorated the interior of the building, which has been turned into ideal office space. As its newest residents, FBA looks forward to a long and successful future in the beautiful and historic Post Office building.